Friday, February 25, 2011

Sharing Is The Word.

I came across these trees & just had to share way to cool & so easy to make. Hope you love them as much as I do. Looks like I found another to do project. Hugs & Kisses Curly.

Lolly Chessie's Famous CP Christmas Trees

CP_01

Hey Everyone! My name is Lolly Chessie and I'm thrilled to be sharing my first tutorial here on the Crate Paper blog! One of the projects I did for CP this past Summer CHA was two little trees! I thought it would be fun to share how I made them with you all!

What you need:

  • Two paper mache tree shapes. The ones I used were 16 and 22 inches tall. I got them at Hobby Lobby and I have seen them at Michaels too! If you can't find them, you could also use Styrofoam cone shapes as well!
  • Crate Paper - "Snow Day" collection (two of each for both trees): Melt, Sparkle, Blizzard, Festive, Mittens, Flakes, Candy
  • Hot glue gun and 2 large glue sticks
  • Green acrylic paint and foam brush (I used Plaid - Folk Art- in #503 "Yellow Cintron"

Lets Get Started!

CP_02

Start by either cutting the petal shape using the Sizzix - "Flowers, Beauty Bloom" die (found HERE) or if you have SCAL and a Cricut you can use this .svg file found HERE (1 sheet for the larger petals) and HERE (1 sheet for the medium and smaller petals). You will need 96 large, 98 medium and 16 small petals. If you don't have SCAL you can print and trace these shapes on to your papers and cut them out too!

Just a note: If you use the Sizzix die, your petals will be all the same size and that's totally ok! That's how I did it for the CHA trees!

CP_03

Paint the bottom of your tree shapes with the green paint! I used a foam brush and two coats and they came out nice and opaque!

CP_04

You will want to split the pile of "Mittens" and "Candy" papers into two groups as you will be using both sides of these papers!

CP_05

Wrap each shape around a round pen or sharpie marker to curl the edges! You can do this as you are gluing each piece (no need to curl them all at once)!

CP_06

The curled petal should look something like this!

CP_07

Dab a spot of hot glue on the pointy ends of each petal and....

CP_08

..starting from the bottom, adhere them to the base of your cone shape!

CP_09

Start layering each petal shape around the base and then work your way up the tree shape one row at a time!

CP_10

Just keep in truckin'..curling and gluing!

CP_11

...If things get a little slanted, that's ok! It just adds to the charm of the tree!

CP_12

Almost there!!!

CP_13

I ran out of daylight before I finished the pics for this tutorial but I figured you have the basic idea down on how this is done!

CP_14

When you get to the tip of the tree, wrap a little piece of felt or fabric and glue it to the top and snip it off! That adds a nice finished topper to your cute little tree!

Thanks so much for joining me today! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at lollychops@gmail.com!

HUGS,
Lolly

P.S. I would like to dedicate these little trees to the memory of my Great Aunt Mary..she made something exactly like them before I was ever born (using construction paper and glitter). I remember seeing them in her living room at Christmas when I was younger! She had some amazing craft skills! XO's Aunt Mary.

No comments: